Having a professionally installed Photoluminescent Safety Way Guidance System (SWGS) can:
- REDUCE THE RISK OF A DISASTER
In the event of a fire or emergency, the installation of a SWGS will go a long way to proving that the company has carried out its legal requirement of performing a risk assessment and has a caring and responsive attitude towards risk. SWGS’s can negate the following risks:
- Stairwells are classified as unoccupied areas in a building and are therefore unfamiliar to the occupants – unfamiliar areas carry an extra risk for slower movement and egress.
- Emergency lighting and electrical power are vulnerable and fail.
- Emergency lighting is not activated by fire or disaster but by power failure. Many occupied spaces do not require emergency lighting and offer risks to occupants.
- Emergency lighting has a period of vulnerability after power failure due to charging of batteries.
- Generator powered emergency lighting has a lead time that can delay evacuation.
- High mounted EXIT signs are not visible in smoke and can be destroyed by heat.
- Ceiling mounted emergency lighting becomes smoked logged in smoke.
- Over door mounted EXIT signs do not generally give sufficient directional information for efficient egress.
- Potential for overcrowding on stairwells and slow moving evacuees.
The consequences of not addressing the risks in your business and subsequently having a disaster could vary from low moral and low productivity through to a shut down of a plant or even loss of life. Fire is a threat that can never be eliminated and should always be treated very seriously.
- PROTECT YOUR COMPANY FROM EXTERNAL THREATS
Having a written fire risk assessment and a SWGS in place will help to protect your business from external threats if a fire or emergency were to happen. The company would probably not have to deal with legal issues of negligence or corporate manslaughter, non-payment of insurance, bad publicity, supply withdrawal or a decline in sales. Instead it would be able to focus on a recovery plan and safeguard the long term future of the business.
- IMPROVE INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS
A SWGS can improve employer/employee relations as staff, after installation, know that the management care about their well being. This in turn leads to employee job satisfaction and higher productivity. It also leads to long term loyalty, a lower staff turnover and less trade union action.
- IMPROVE PROFITABILITY
Tenants want to know that their buildings are safe and energy efficient and are willing to pay for such privileges. Property owners and management companies can therefore gain a competitive advantage from installing a SWGS and charge a higher rental for a relatively small investment in the premises.
- IMPROVE YOUR CUSTOMER IMAGE
A SWGS can impress visitors and give your building an air of prestige and you an air of competence. If you look on the ball about safety issues, then you are probably on the ball about all the other issues that affect your business.